I cannot recommend this dish enough. As my husband has Italian blood, he likes nothing more than a big hearty bowl of pasta. I have been trying to devise a recipe which is free of oil and dairy, full of nutrients, but is still packed with flavour. Most of all I want it to look amazing.
Let me tell you something about peas. They are an excellent source of vitamin K, full of dietary fibre, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus, and folate. And these are only a few of their nutrients!
This dish ticks all the boxes. It comes out this bright glorious green which looks absolutely sensational. Mashed peas, garlic, lemon, basil all blend together to create the most surprising flavour and texture. When combined with fresh pasta? The heavens open and you can hear the angels sing! The best part is that you can eat to your heart content. It is packed with nutrients and low in calories.
Try it today. You will not regret it.
- 350g of spaghetti (I used a little less than the packet)
- ½ cup of cashews or walnuts
- 6 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 bunch of basil (thick stems removed)
- 1/2 cup of almond or soy milk (I’m sure any other would work, add extra if needed)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 table spoon of rind
- Seasoning to taste (I use a lot of salt and cracked pepper but you can decide what you like)
- 1 generous cup of rocket
- 1 bunch of Broccoli broken into florets
Variation for those who are trying to lose weight or with heart disease: Instead of Cashews use one tin of broad beans
- Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy
- Add pasta to boiling pot and cook till aldente
- When cooked drain and reserve a little of the cooking water
- While this is happening, boil water in a small saucepan
- Blanch the broccoli Florets for three minutes
- Toss the pesto sauce through the pasta
- Add the broccoli and rocket leaves and toss
- Spoon into four bowls or onto a large serving platter
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves
- Serve Immediately