Greenie’s Chicken Soup
I am obsessed with making chicken soup. Thank goodness for chicken Monday!
Thinking back, I think this obsession stems from one of my favourite food memories of my mother. She used to make this aromatic, nourishing chicken soup at least once a week growing up.
Allow me to describe my mum to you. She is a gorgeous little Filipino who cooks with all the love in the world. Growing up was a culinary delight in my house. My friends would think that they had hit a five star restaurant when they had dinner at my place.
My mum would create this chicken soup that was complete with whole chicken. She would meticulously de-skin the entire thing and then cut up it up with her big machete knife which looked even bigger in her little Filipino hands.
This would all be thrown into a big pot which would bubble with plenty of onion and whole garlic cloves crushed and pounded. She would add the celery and carrots to the chicken and simmer for an hour prior to adding the cauliflower and Asian greens right at the end.
It was magical. We would eat this nourishing soup like every Asian family – with some steamed rice on the bottom. I have such beautiful memories of this soup. Nourishing and fragrant. I have incorporated it into our marriage.
If Mark is rundown or tired he knows that I will go to the shops and get the biggest chicken I can find and make him a whole chicken soup. These days I make him cut it up for me as whole chickens really feel and look quite disturbing and cutting it up makes him feel manly. He feels so loved when he has had a hard week and he knows that there is a big pot of chicken soup bubbling away for him.
We eat it with this chilli salsa which will blow your mind. And it is such a bonus as we can eat it for numerous meals straight! Winning people. Chicken Monday turns into chicken Tuesday, Wednesday and sometimes even Thursday.
So let me tell you my recipe which is so easy you will have no excuse to not try.
Make it a tradition in your home too!
Greenie’s Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken (the bigger the better) De-skin and cut into portions/pieces – (if this idea really upsets you than get chicken pieces and de-skin them).
- 6-12 Whole garlic cloves – (Mark and I buy the pre peeled package that you can get at all fruit stores, it makes life so much easier)
- 6 cubes of chicken stock – (we used massels chicken stock)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 carrots chopped finely.
- Half a cauliflower chopped into florets
- broccoli chopped in to florets
- Bock choy (other Asian greens)
- Button Mushrooms – 12
- Chilli salsa
- Two birds eye chillies
- ½ red onion
- White vinegar
- Table spoon soy sauce
- Pinch of salt.
Method for chicken soup
- De skin and cut into portions/pieces
- Add chicken into a large soup pot along with chunks of celery, and carrot.
- Dissolve the chicken stock cubes into a mug of boiled of water and add to chicken and veges in a pot.
- Fill pot with extra water till chicken is well and truly covered (4 cups or more).
- Bring to boil than turn to simmer for 45 mins to an hour until chicken is tender.
- Add the mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and greens and simmer for 5-10 mins and turn off!
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Method for chilli salsa
- Finely chop chilli
- Finely chop red onion
- Cover the mixture with vinegar
- Add soy sauce.
- Salt to taste.
Try it this week and let me know how you go!
You are richly loved and deeply cherished,
The Healthy Hiccup