Does Eating Fat Make you Fat?
“A minute on the lips, and a lifetime on the hips.”
True or False?
Fats and oils make you gain weight because they contain more calories than protein or carbohydrates.
Did you answer true?
Actually this above statement could not be further from the truth.
In order to understand Fats and how your body utilises them, it is important to understand the different types of fat.
- Unsaturated Fats include Monosaturated and Polysaturated Fats. Monosaturated Fat is Good Fat. Also known as monosaturated fatty acids or MUFA. They contain important ingredients and antioxidants and protect against heart disease and more. They regulate the blood sugar. These come from Olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocado. Very Healthy Fats.
- Polyunsaturated Fats including Omega 3 and Omega 6. These are essential fatty acids. Omega three are very important for healthy brain function, a better mood, hormonal balance, satiety, heart health and weight loss. This is in oily fish, eggs yolks walnuts and dark leafy vegetables.
- Saturated fats come from animal sources. This includes fat from animal products such as meat and poultry. We have been told in the past to limit our consumption of this fat and hence eat lean cuts of meat and fish and chicken over poultry. However there is more and more studies to show that there is no correlation between saturated fats, cholesterol and heart disease. There is still a lot of debate on this. For now I think eating saturated fat in moderation from your animal proteins is a sensible part of a healthy diet. Just try to ensure it is from an organic, grass fed source and practice moderation.
- Trans Fats are always bad for you. Mostly trans fats are made during food processing. During the food processing process, they partially hydrogenate the unsaturated fats. Here they can create synthetic fats which take a long time to spoil. These show up on the ingredient labels as the word ‘hydronated.’ The best way to avoid this is to avoid all processed and packaged foods such as doughnuts, burgers, chips, cakes and biscuits etc. The fats in refined vegetable oils, seed oils and omega fats contribute to inflammation and chronic disease. The best way to do this is by staying away from processed junk foods, and deep fried foods.
- How much fat should you eat? The kind of fat that you eat is more important that how much fat you eat. Get most of your fats from meat, fish, poultry, eggs, grass fed dairy, avocados, nuts, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, optional grass-fed butter. Limit your intake of Trans fats from processed sweet foods and stick to the healthy fats.
- Sweet fat WILL make you fat. Fats combined with starch or sugar are a rocket fuel to weight Gain. Think French fires, ice cream, bread and butter, pasta and cream, burgers, …. This is literally rocket fuel for weight gain.
- To Reign in life is to nourish your Body with Good Fats. Regularly!
Fats and Oils
There is still a lot of research to be done in this field. However one thing we know for sure is this. Good Fats are an essential part of our diet.
|Eat good amounts of healthy fats at every meal if you can.|
What to eat
To keep it simple you could limit yourself to these two oils:
Eat extra virgin olive oil with your food and for cooking at low temperature
Extra virgin coconut oil for cooking at higher temperatures
Fats from grass fed organic animal Proteins
Meat, fish and seafood, poultry, and eggs
Avocado, coconut, nuts and seeds
Fats are Essential to a Healthy Diet
Eating the right Kind of Fat will not make you fat
Get most of your fats from:
Fish poultry, eggs, grass fed meat,
avocado, nuts, and seeds
extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil
If you choose to you can have a small amount of organic grass-fed butter
Own Your Health – Think Well, Eat Well, Live Well
Wink: We have had so many weddings lately. One of my favourite things about wedding is looking at what people wear! Everyone looks SO HOT! I love it. I love looking at the different styles girls choose. It shows so much about personalities. I love looking at what the bridesmaids are wearing. I love to pick the guy with the best-looking tux! I love it all! My favourite. And of course. The bride. They always always take my breath away.
P.S Did you like this article? Perhaps you would like this one. Four ways to nourish your body.